Sunday, October 26, 2008

Disney Sea..

Today I went to Tokyo Disney Sea.. I woke up early because I wanted to get there for when the gates opened at 9am. Grabbed the JR Chuo line over to the Tokyo station to connect to the JR Keiyo Line (not to be confused with the Keio trains)... The Tokyo train station is enormous, it's a good ten minute walk from the JR Chuo line to the JR Keiyo line. Got over to Disney around 8:30ish, Disney Tokyo is two parks (Disneyland Tokyo and Disney Sea), Disneyland is pretty much the same as the Magic Kingdom or Disneyland California so I had not intended on going there. They actually do not have a single ride in Disneyland Tokyo that I have not already been on in either CA or FL. In order to get from the JR line to either park you have to take the Monorail. First stop was Disneyland, when I saw the line waiting to get in I nearly crapped myself. Unfortunately the Disneyland line was not as big as the Disney Sea line!! I got off at Disney Sea and went to buy my ticket, Disneyland was sold out today and tomorrow! Disney Sea apparently holds more people because they still had tickets, thankfully..

Disney Sea is broken into multiple "lands" just like other Disney Parks. In each land they have 2 to 4 "Attractions" and there are 7 "lands". Some of the attractions are "DisneySea Electric Railway" and "DisneySea Transit Steamer Line" which bring you from land to land. All in all there are 19 actual attractions and a good number of those only for kids. The lines were amazingly bad! The shortest line I waited in was 70 minutes and that was because I had a "fastpass" for that ride, yes it was 70 minutes after the fastpass spot! The longest one was 3 hours which was for Stormrider. The lines for food were out of fucking control too, I don't know who the hell would wait in a 80 minute line for a fucking sausage sandwich. I walked by the line the first time at noon and saw the sign with the wait time and laughed, I walked back around 1:30 and the line was still 80 minutes. The had "X min wait from here" signs on the fucking drink carts which were normally 20-30 minutes. 20-30 minutes to get a drink! I drank water out of the water fountains. I ended up eating a pork pita and a churro from the Arabian area, I only waited 45 minutes in line. I went back to the sausage line at 3:45 and it was still over an hour wait! If that park was built in Rollercoaster Tycoon (a game for the PC if you didn't know) it would fail due to lines. The crazy thing was that everyone was waiting. I guess the Japanese know how to wait in line! By the way, before I get off the food topic, trying to be wheat free in Disney Sea is impossible. The food here was just like the food in Disney World, it was totally American sandwich style for everything. And yes I am a bit gassy now.. :(

In general I would say that Disney didn't really pay much attention to Japan with this park, once you walked into the park you might as well have been in Florida. All the signs were in English (with Japanese under the English in smaller print). The staff all spoke Japanese but the rides (with the exception of two) all had English narration. When I got back to the JR train I felt like I had returned to Japan. One more food thing I forgot to mention, they had "Mets Grape Soda"! No, I didn't try it.

So the lands were as follows: This is in the order I visited them..
Mediterranean Harbor
Fortress Explorations was the big thing here, plus this is where all the big shows ran. Fortress Explorations was a castle they built that you could walk around, they had rooms from different explorers like Leonardo DiVinci and Michaelangelo. It was pretty cool, plus it had the highest view point so you could see a good view of the park.
Mysterious Island
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Journey to the Center of the Earth were here. They are both amazing rides. 20,000 Leagues is not the same as the old crappy one in Disney World, this was one of their story book rides, but it was done real well. Journey to the Center of the Earth was a indoor/outdoor roller coaster which had a pretty nasty drop at the end. The drop was made worse by the fact that you came out into the sun shine as you crested the hill so it blinded you as you went over.
Mermaid Lagoon
This was pretty to look at but everything here was for kiddies.
Arabian Coast
Again, mostly for small kids, but they did have the Sinbad's Storybook Voyage ride which was another story book style ride that used the same boats as It's a Small World. Nice puppets and catchy Japanese song.
Lost River Delta
This was the adult area, it had Indiana Jones Adventure and Raging Spirits. Raging Spirits is the one I had the 70 minute wait on after the fast pass. What happened was I got the fast pass, went to the Sinbad ride and then came back and got in with my fast pass. I was pissed that the fast pass only cut off some of the line. Raging Spirits was a fast rollercoaster that did a loop, it was good but it was no California Screaming. I did not go on Indiana Jones, the line was never under 2 hours when I walked by and I had seen it in Disneyland so I figure no need to waste the 2 hours on that.
Port Discovery
This had two of the coolest, most unique rides, Stormrider and Aquotopia. Stormrider was the 3 hour wait and I have to say it was probably worth it. It was one of those movie rides and the premise was that you were flying these new type weather sensor machines, during the flight your partner ship crashed into you breaking a hole in your roof. Because it was raining they actually rained on you, not a little either. I walked out wishing I had a towel. Another cool thing is that they had windows on the sides and actually had the side view movie playing there too so it really felt like you were in the plane. Very nicely done. In Aquotopia you got in these boats and it ran around a little body of water, the boats however didn't just go straight, they would go straight, turn quickly, spin, go backwards, spin again, turn quickly. Basically they just threw you around for a few minutes and you got wet in a few spots, but not as wet as I did in Stormrider.
American Waterfront
Yeah, seriously.. They had this whole section that was supposed to be Cape Cod which had rocks along the sea which reminded me of the rocks in RI. The only ride here was Tower of Terror which I didn't go on because I had been on it enough in Disneyland and Disney World.

I also took the Electric Railway from Port Discovery to American Waterfront at night. Once I finished riding everything (6pm) I walked around the park again to see it in the dark. The park is very pretty at night and unfortunately my camera stinks in the dark.

I saw the two big shows (Legend of Mythica and BraviSEAmo). Legend of Mythica was cute, it was basically a bunch of floats riding in a circle with Mickey up on a platform in the middle controlling everything. BraviSEAmo was amazing! They had water jets doing cool waves and such, then a boat came out with a female made up of water and she sang in an Anonymous 4 style. She went across the lake and left and then the lake caught on fire and the volcano erupted water and fireworks as a big dragon came out of the water singing a very dark deep song. Once he made his entrance the water lady came back and they appeared to have a battle, everytime he would sing the water would catch on fire and fireworks would explode everywhere. When she sang the water waves would dance and spray water into the air. In the end she won and they two just stood there looking at each other. Neither of their songs were in English or Japanese, they were basically chant type stuff.

All in all I would say Disney Sea was worth it. I probably would not go on a Saturday if you could help it. I bet it would have been MUCH slower during the week, but alas I have to actually work while I'm here..

----
Two cool things... One - I ended up singing the Totoro end credits song with a father and son while waiting in line at Aquatopia. Two - I was able to understand the conversations from time to time and I was able to understand StormRider which was all in Japanese. I would say if I were here for like 3-6 months I would probably say I would be able to speak Japanese with some level of quality.. :)

I did copy pics of my phone.. I am planning to post 39 from today and 31 from yesterday but those will have to wait because it's 12:30 and I have to get up early again to go to Studio Ghibli.. Depending on what time I get back tomorrow I might have time to resize/post them. If not you will have to wait till Monday when I'm bored at work..

---Diversion of the Day
See more Sarah Silverman videos at Funny or Die

2 comments:

  1. Where are the pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are on my PC.. :)

    Let see what time I get back tonight from Studio Ghibli

    ReplyDelete