Sunday, December 21, 2008

Happy Solstice Everyone!

Today Sara, Ryan, Jessie, Amber and myself trekked through the snow down to New London to go to the Solstice Celebration.. It was a very nice service, they did a bunch of songs and in between they used quotes from Greek Myth and Black Elk Speaks which is an interview/story they did in 1932 with a Sioux medicine man. Here is one quote that I really liked..

"You have noticed that everything an Indian does in in a circle, and that is because the Power of the World always works in circles, and everything tries to be round. In the old days when we were a strong and happy people, all our power came to us from the sacred hoop of the nation, and so long as the hoop was unbroken, the people flourished. The flowering tree was the living center of the hoop, and the circle of the four quarters nourished it. The east gave peace and light, the south gave warmth, the west gave rain, and the north with its cold and mighty wind gave strength and endurance. This knowledge came to us from the outer world with our religion. Everything the Power of the World does is done in a circle. The sky is round, and I have heard that the earth is round like a ball, and so are all the stars. The wind, in its greatest power, whirls. Birds make their nests in circles, for theirs is the same religion as ours. The sun comes forth and goes down again in a circle. The moon does the same, and both are round. Even the seasons form a great circle in their changing, and always come back again to where the were. The life of a man is a circle from childhood to childhood, and so it is in everything where power moves. Our teepees were round like the nests of birds, and these were always set in a circle, the nation's hoop, a nest of many nests, where the Great Spirit meant for us to hatch our children."
Black Elk Speaks, John G. Neihardt


What ever happened with yesterday's solstice bonfire? We didn't make it, by the time we got going we realized that we were never going to make it with the roads the way they were. So.. Instead we went to the Courthouse for dinner and to Target for some shopping.

Speaking of shopping.. Tonight afterwards we went to the Crystal Mall and wandered around/went shopping.. It was fun, I got to go to Sat Mat and look around, it was not as busy as I would have liked it to be.

How many people can you stuff in a Outback Sport? Well, how about me driving, Amber in the front, Rene in a car seat taking up 1/3 of the back seat with Ryan, Jessie and Sara taking up the rest?

This tendon thing really sucks.. Last night as I was leaving Ryan and Sara's house I stepped on a hard lump of ice/snow and hurt myself bad, I ended up having Jessie drive home and I had to crutch into the house. Today I was really really careful to not step on any un-even snow/ice patches. I did really good till I got home and after taking my shoes off Nest tripped me and I went down hard... Now for the second straight night I'm laying on the couch in lots of pain and nothing but Advil to try and make it better... Fuck... Day by day right?

So.. Onto food matters... If you remember I mentioned that I loved the way I felt in Japan and Singapore and it has everything to do with the food I was eating or rather the food I was not eating. So, I figure there are two things that you don't really eat in Japanese and Singapore cuisine and that's wheat and milk. So, since Lynz and Sara can't it wheat I figure that's the easier thing to test.. I did not cut it out completely but I did cut back on it massively and it helped but didn't make it go away. So, now I'm going to put wheat back in and remove milk and see if it gets better or worse. If it gets worse than I will really cut wheat out completely, if it gets better then I will continue to cut milk. I figure through enough experimentation I should be able to figure it out.

Well, that's it for me for now.. Jessie is done with taking the trash out and we are going to do the tree now...

---Diversion of the Day
http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/2008-12-16/index.html

---Thought of the Day
We are most certainly going to have a white Christmas this year.. It's been snowing here now since Friday at 2pm without stopping... Actually it stopped today from about 6pm to 11pm but it's snowing again now.. Hopefully the sun will make a hasty return and we can have an early spring...

No comments:

Post a Comment