Saturday, February 21, 2009

1985

I am sitting on the couch watching Tom Seaver's 300 win on the new MLB Network. This game was in 1985 when Seaver played on the Sox, when I say the Sox I mean the White Sox. Back in 1985 they were trying to redifine their team so they dropped "white" off their name and uniforms and were just the Sox. They wore a pretty bad uniform that year, I can't say it was the worst uniform, but it was pretty bad. It's pretty cool watching this because they are giving alot of historical side notes, during commercial breaks they give commentary on the game from today's perspective. One thing I found very interesting was the Dwight Gooden pitched his first game in a Mets uniform that same day which back then would not seem significant but looking back at it in that way is.

Anyway, this is not meant to be a blog about me watching an old baseball game... so...

....
Thursday and Friday were all about trying new restaurants. Wednesday night me and Jessie had decided we would eat at the Thai restaurant in Putnam and on the way would pick up a menu to the new pizza place (Palmieri's). We went in and grabbed a menu and while there the guy behind the counter gave us each a very small piece of the pizza to try. After eating it both of us were upset that we had already called in the Thai order.

-small tangent--> The announcers in 1985 were speculating on the future of Tom Seaver, one of them said that he thought Tom had a good head for managing, the other said that Tom Seaver belongs in the broadcasting booth. They discussed it for a few minutes and both agreed that they would love to see Tom in the broadcast booth someday. If you don't already know.. Tom Seaver is one of the Mets announcers on SNY.

Back to our regularly scheduled blog.. Thursday night I asked Jessie out for a pizza date at Palmieri's. They have a BYO policy so we went down to Putnam Liquors and got a Malbec Cabernet blend by a company called Paladin to drink with our pizza which ended up being a really good wine. We split a pizza and it was OMG good! I don't usually rave about Pizza places, especially ones outside of NY. Pyzzz is good brick oven pizza, Someplace Special has good greek pizza but nobody in the New England area has ever had what I would consider good "New York" pizza. It's actually always been kind of a joke when you see places that boast "New York style pizza" or "Brooklyn style pizza", usually you end up leaving the place wondering if they've ever tried pizza in NY. Palmieri's does have the dreaded "New York style pizza" sign on the door but for them it's deserved. Not only do they have New York style pizza they have amazing New York pizza! I will be going back there again and again..

After dinner we snuggled on the couch and watched a few episodes of Scrubs from a few weeks ago. Kate Micucci was a guest star in the 2nd episode we watched playing a possible love interest for Ted. They did an amazingly cute song called "Screw You", which is my diversion of the day. I looked Kate up on Myspace and she is as super cute as her character and her music is really fun. "Screw You" is one of her songs, another of my favorites of hers is "Dear Deer" which I will post as a 2nd diversion for today. I am giving you two because I had not blogged nearly enough lately.

Before dinner on Thursday I went back to the tattoo place and I showed Dave what I liked about each drawing and gave him some thoughts on how I would like to see the tree drawn. I went back on Friday before dinner and got his new drawing. I am not going to say what I think here yet, I would like you to give me your opinion (don't worry, your opinions are not going to change mine but I would like to hear them).

....
Friday night Lynz came over with Anja and we went to Yamato which is a new Japanese restaurant in Dayville. I can't really talk about the cooked food but I can say they had good sushi. The miso soup was good and the salad was ok. The really odd thing about this place is that it's a "steak house" meaning you would expect cooking tables, instead they have a cooking counter in the back with two chefs. The counter is open to view (if your table has a view of it, ours didn't) but it's not the same as having the chef at your table. I don't know if they were doing any tricks while cooking because I couldn't see the cooking area. I would like to go back again and this time get some cooked food to see what it's like. I was going to get some cooked food last night but I decided to just get sashimi instead which was well cut and came with a ton of daikon.

After dinner we came back and watched a bunch of Cheers before heading to bed. I posted this and then saw a notepad document up behind the window with an quote from Samuel Mayday Malone that I wanted to post. He was talking about being out with a girl and refered to it as "a wild night of friend making." I like that phrase.. Thanks Sam... :D

--Diversions of the Day
Screw You


Dear Deer

No comments:

Post a Comment