Friday, June 1, 2012

Utah 2

Apparently my Flickr add-on for my blog no longer works.  I need to investigate that..  I posted over 100 pics to flickr this month so if you haven't been over there you should check it out.  My new phone (Droid 3) can send pictures directly to Flickr so now I don't need to go through the copy to PC process.. 

Back to our regularly (or semi-regularly) scheduled program.. 

Wednesday night after work I spent a few hours looking at online D&D tools before going out for dinner..  Quick tip, don't wait till 8:30 to get dinner in Lehi Utah!  I went to Cabella's because they are open till 9 and the restaurant actually looked pretty good, unfortunately the restaurant is NOT open till 9, they were closed when I got there a little after 8:30.  I decided I need some come of utility device to open bottles (beer and wine) so I decided to look around while I was there since I figured they would have some kind of little camping tool.  They did, but man are they expensive there.  Maybe I need a little Swiss Army Knife, I used to have one but lost it a long time ago, the cheapest thing I found at Cabella's was $50 and I'm not willing to spend that much on it.. I will probably end up buying a little waiter bottle opener at Stop and Shop for a few bucks when I get home.  Now it's about 8:45 so I decide to just go get some Subway, hmm, those closed at 7pm?!  Onto sushi again?  Again you may be asking?  Monday night I got sushi at a place called Koi in Lehi, it was ok..  Well I went over to Koi and it's also closed...  Hrmph..  Running out of options I ended up at a fast food place called JCW, the food was surprisingly good, or maybe I was hungry..  Don't know...  Quote of the night while talking to Lynz about what NOT to say to a Mormon when they ask what comes after life..  "You get reincarnated based on how much of a douche you are, or are not, in this life".  The correct/political answer is of course "I don't worry about what comes after, when I get there I'll figure it out"..  :D

Thursday after class I went into Salt Lake City proper, I parked in a central area and set off on foot with Yelp and Happy Cow as my guides.  Happy Cow was no help, which I guess is not a big surprise and Yelp led me to a brewery called Epic.  It was 5 blocks south and 1 block east of where I parked so I set off.  FYI - Salt Lake City has BIG blocks!  It took about 30 minutes to walk south and as I was walking the area started getting real bad, if it was dark I would not have been walking in that area.  Got to Epic and found out that you can't buy beer there unless you take it to go.  They do offer tastings, but not right now..  So, back to the north..  Went to a bar near my car called Murphy's Irish Bar..  Yes, there is one in every city..  :)  In Salt Lake City all bars need to be under street level in order to serve beer over 4%, so a few steps down I found a selection of wonderful micro brews including a few by Epic..  Asked the barkeep what the best IPA was and she recommended Elephino Double IPA made by Red Rock Brewery in Salt Lake City.  This beer was amazing, I would put it on par with the Maha..

Off to dinner..  I ended up an old polygamist "compound", I don't really know what else to call it.  It had a large main building / mill house and 11 little houses on the land.  It was built for a husband and his 11 wives back in the late 1800s.  Now all the houses were little stores, sewing shops, candy shops, toy store, etc and the main building is a restaurant called Archibalds after the guy who built it all.  I got a steak with shrimp and spinach in it and with sausage gravy over it!  Might not be healthy, but man was it good!

Tonight I'm going to hit Park City, I got a few suggestions from students so it should be a fun night.  Plan - get a beer at the local Park City brewery (yes, it serves it's beer on premise unlike Epic), get an Elk Steak and head over to a fire bar.  Can't stay out too late since I have to leave my hotel at 4am to get my 6am flight..  Sleep is for the weak right?   

-Diversion of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment