Thursday, May 31, 2012

You Tah - The Return of the Blog

I'm just going to pretend I didn't disappear from the blogging world for, um, a long time..  Last blog was July of 2011..  Oh, well, lots happened since then..   If I spend time trying to catch everyone up I will feel overwhelmed by this and do nothing..  So..  On to Utah..

I am in Utah this week, just south of Salt Lake City in Draper.  Actually I was supposed to be in Draper, but due to a mis-click on concur I'm staying in Lehi which is just south of Draper..  I'm about 7 miles away and in a different county, that 7 miles can take an hour to drive which was fun to figure out on Tuesday morning.  I tried to get to work for 8:30 on Tuesday and ended up having to drop off the highway and take back roads to get here a little after 9.  Anyway, I get here Tuesday and find out that not only is lunch not provided but there is no cafeteria either, during the morning briefing I found out that the class needed to leave at 4 because they have a field trip to see a Salt Lake Bees game, would I like to go?  Of course!!

Salt Lake Bees are a minor league team for the Anaheim Angels.  Speaking of the Angels, on my first flight I sat next to a scout for the Angels.  It made for a very interesting conversation about how the scouting process works.  Last season he was responsible for the NL East and was trying to get the Angels to trade for Wright and Murphy.  I'm so glad the Mets put those two on the "do not trade" list last off season.  On the second flight I sat next to a nice Mormon boy who was on his way home from his mission to Detroit, shockingly, he tried to convert me..  I wasn't even in Utah yet and I had the "speech" about Joseph Smith..  :/

I checked into the hotel Monday evening and decided to check out the area.  Well crap, a dry county..  Go north to Draper to find beer, and even that is only less than 4%..  Apparently they can serve stronger stuff in Salt Lake City at breweries, will be finding that out tonight..  Drove up to Draper and grabbed a 6 pack of Hyve honey ale, went back to the hotel to find out the room didn't have a bottle opener.  They have one at the front desk and you can use it as long as you don't mind the dirty looks.. 

We were told that the stadium opened it's doors at 5 (game starts at 6:35) so we left at 4.  Got to the stadium around 4:30 and stood outside till 5:35, I walked around the park with two of my students who were very cool.  It was odd when I asked them if they lived in Utah there whole life and the younger guy says something like 'except for the normal two years', when I was obviously confused he told me that it was his two year mission for god..  Oh man, here we go again with the conversion speech..  It was not as bad as the one on the plane, but still..  Two days, two conversions attempts..  Still holding strong in case you were wondering..  :D

Something I didn't know, apparently if you smoke, drink alcohol or drink caffeine you are not invited to some of the more holy events..  Hmm..  I guess that's one way to push peer pressure.. 

Back to the game..  We went in and walked around the inside of the park, they have a train that drives from the left field corner to the right field corner (behind the wall), I rode the train with one the students..  As you can imagine, I had a great time at the game..  We actually had a suite at the game and food (hot dogs, burgers, pulled pork, chips, salsa, very good bean dip) was included.  Beer however was not, the waitress came out and I ordered a beer which was very scandalas.. One of the students pulled me aside and said he would join me in having a beer but didn't want to be judged by his co-workers, it was ok for me to drink because I would only be here for the one week.  Oh man...  So now you have to hide your drinking from your co-workers for fear of being ostracized..  Hrmph.. 

 - I apparently started writing this too late in the day..  It's quit'en time, heading up to Salt Lake City tonight to see what I can find..

- Diversion of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment