Thursday, June 25, 2009

NL East article on ESPN

I was reading ESPN today and they had a really good article about the beat up NL East. For those of you who skip my baseball blogs, there is more under this article so if you want you can scroll down.. :P
The NL East is playing out like a really nasty game of dodgeball, and if you're keeping score at home, you could probably count the bodies left standing on one hand.

You know the New York Mets have lost their best home run hitter, their All-Star shortstop, two-fifths of their rotation and their second most important off-season acquisition in J.J. Putz … and at the end of play Tuesday night, the Mets were still just 2½ games out of first place.

The Florida Marlins saw their most consistent starting pitcher from last year sent to the minors, and their starting center fielder batted .202 before being demoted. They've had to make do at third base with a youngster who had always played in the middle infield. Dan Uggla, one of their few returning veteran stars, is batting .217, and shortstop Hanley Ramirez has a nagging groin injury. Today, these Marlins, with the lowest payroll in the majors, are three games out of first place.

The Philadelphia Phillies might have lost No. 2 starter Brett Myers for the rest of the season, No. 3 starter Jamie Moyer has a 5.97 ERA, and No. 5 starter Chan Ho Park lost his job. Closer Brad Lidge was much less than perfect before landing on the disabled list, shortstop Jimmy Rollins has battled a slump most of the year, and now Raul Ibanez is hurt.

And the Phillies lead the NL East.

So in other words, this battered and tattered division -- major league baseball's Black and Blue Division of 2009 -- is a very long way from being decided.

A few hours before Tommy Hanson pitched out of trouble over and over again and the Braves shut out the Yankees, Atlanta GM Frank Wren spoke with optimism, and who could blame him? The Braves have been one of baseball's worst offensive teams; their outfield production was easily the worst in the majors, prompting Wren to trade for Nate McLouth. And those Braves are four games out of first place.

"I think none of us foresaw what the [Phillies and Mets] would have," Wren said. "We're sitting where we thought we would be. … I actually feel like over the last week, we've started to make some strides. The last five days, we've swung the bat as well as well as we have all year."

Casey Kotchman has been swinging better of late, Wren says, but hasn't had a lot to show for it yet. Garret Anderson ripped a two-run double Tuesday night, and is hitting .435 over the past week. McLouth has helped the Atlanta offense, creating more opportunities for Chipper Jones, Brian McCann and others. If the Braves can muster any offensive consistency, they'll be dangerous because of their rotation and bullpen depth.

Wren is open to adding a hitter "who is available and who fits what we need," but like a lot of other GMs, he reports that there are few players on the market right now. And in the end, Wren's hands could be tied because of expense. "There's very little financial flexibility [among other teams], and for us, as well," Wren said. (Yet another reason why the trade market will probably be a dud: It's unclear whether even the Dodgers can take on money, as Bill Shaikin writes.)

Soon enough, the Mets will get back Jose Reyes, John Maine and Carlos Beltran, and it's possible they will get help from Carlos Delgado and Oliver Perez. And the Mets, one of the few teams willing to take on money in trades, are looking for a hitter. The Phillies are looking for a starting pitcher, but without success so far. The Marlins have historically made runs in the second half of the season, as their young players improve.

Jeff Schultz wonders if better days are ahead for the Braves. These days, the Mets must hit and run and pray, writes John Harper.
I hope at least some of you thought that was interesting.. If not, too bad.. To keep my blog legal I should say that Buster Olney wrote that..

----
I went to my cousin's wedding on Saturday and Sunday I went to see Hangover with my dad for father's day... Hangover was such a bad movie.. I recommend nobody see it..

I went bowling with Lynz on Thursday which was tough on my feet but good too. I think there was a ball magnet in the gutters because my ball really liked hanging out there. I was adjusting my approach to not hurt my feet so I was all over the place but I had fun and I feel it did a good job of building up some muscles in my legs.

Saturday at my cousin's wedding I ran a little bit and that really strained my calf muscles, I am thinking next week I will hit the gym and try the elliptical machine. If that fails I'll be swimming for sure and maybe some very minor weights.

Anyway, back to work for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment