Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Winter in New England, who knew?

I'm sitting in class in Mclean VA watching students do labs and I have been AWOL for far too long.. So..

I flew down here on Monday morning after a long Laire weekend. I got on the plane and when they were done boarding they made an announcement that there was a big pile of snow behind the plane and we therefore could not taxi away from the gate?! How did the plane get there if there was a big pile of snow? I assume that the plane must have been there overnight.. Snow pile moved and we are on our way.. Until.. The pilot tests everything out and finds that the wings are frozen! Now we are sitting between the gate and runway and they have to send two trucks out to water blast the ice off the wings, they then coat them with a green liquid and after a min or two the wings start to move again and we can finally take off. Now, I understand that things freeze but wouldn't it make sense that they looked at these things *before* loading the plane? If I were down south I can understand them not taking the steps to de-ice the plane before hand but you would think that those who run Logan Airport would know better..

Had a good nap and arrived in DC with no further issue. Getting the rental car was a bit of a humorous event, I get the car (Toyota Corolla) and leave the booth. After you drive out of the booth you hit a stop sign, there was no sign so I went straight to "outside". "Outside" meant into the car wash area?! I drove around for a bit looking for another way out and found that I was apparently supposed to turn left at the stop sign and go back into the garage to go down levels and out into the street. Only way back now was to go in as if I were returning the car and drive around. OK.. Back around and out to freedom.. Got to the hotel finally and relaxed a bit before heading to Sunflowers for dinner.

For a starter I got the One Mouth Happiness which is a few pieces of each of their sushi rolls. Roll 1: Zen Roll - Avocado, hiyashi seaweed and cucumber. Roll 2: Rainbow Roll - Carrot, pickled daikon, inani and cucumber. Roll 3: Inani Sushi (Marinated Tofu Skin) - Stuffed w. brown rice, sesame seeds, crispy bean curd, seacress & shiso condiment. That came with edamame soy beans on the side.

I probably should have stopped there but I didn't.. I got Raw World as my entree, which is listed as "Japanese style akatosaka, aotosaka, jicama, tomato, organic sunflower seeds, avocado, pine nuts, dried blueberry, dried cranberry and daikon on a bed of mixed greens". I was not happy when it came, it was a big pile of iceberg lettuce with separate piles of each of those things. Actually that's not totally true, the sunflower seeds, pine nuts, blueberries and cranberries were in a cup on the side as was the dressing. Oh, and the avocado was entire half of an avocado, not even cut up, just scooped out and plopped on top.

To boot the Lemonade I got was minute maid lemonade. I figured in a vegetarian/vegan restaurant the lemonade would have been made from real lemons.. I am probably going to go back and get their General Tso's tofu. We shall see...

Today Robyn is coming over and tomorrow I'm meeting Amy and Mitch.. No plans yet for Thursday but I'm working on it.. ;)

----
I will post a "catch up blog" tomorrow which will talk about Jan 5th - 17th, for now I'm logging off so I can get out'a here..

No comments:

Post a Comment