Saturday, April 4, 2009

Mets add 'historic bat' in Sheffield

No, this is not a blog about only baseball again.. I just laughed my ass off when I read that headline on MLB.com.. I guess "historic" is the new pc phrase for old.. If you don't know who Gary Sheffield is, he used to be a great outfielder, now he is a has-been. He is 40 years old and his last good year was 2005 when he hit .291 with 35 home runs, he has steadily decreased since then and was released by Detroit in spring training because he hit .175 in the spring. If the Mets were going to sign a random old outfielder I would have rather they sign Bonds who could probably still play or at least hit the crap out of the ball.

----
Quick update, recap of the last week or so...

Last Saturday was Joe M's birthday, originally just Jessie and Hoyle were going to go but since my foot was feeling pretty good I decided to tag along and drag Sara with us. We met at a Comedy Club/Brewery in Hartford called City Steam Brewery Cafe around 5 figuring we would eat and then catch their 7pm show. When we got there we found out that the show was sold out so we could either go to the late show or go to Funny Bones in Manchester, after a quick vote we decided to eat and head to Funny Bones. Speaking of food... I would really like to go back to that brewery on a night that they didn't have a show, the food (crab cake sliders) was very good when they finally brought it. I had a two of their beers and they were both tasty, the first (and better) beer was the Winter Wheat which is an odd beer, at first I was not sure if I liked it but by the end of the glass I decided I liked it enough to bring home a growler. Well, as it turns out the Winter Wheat was the end of the run, I got about 2 glasses in the growler but they only charged me $3 for it so I figure it's a win. The 2nd beer I had was Deirdre Does Dublin which is a Guinness clone, it was ok but not great.

After dinner we loaded into the car and shot down to Manchester, got tickets and got seated right before the show started. Ian Bagg was the headliner and was really funny. I forgot the names of the first two comedians, they were ok but obviously not that memorable. My leg was still feeling ok afterwards so we went back to Joe's house and played some Apples to Apples with his clan.. Speaking of his clan, I was shocked to see Gwen sitting at the table when we arrived for dinner. Me and Jessie knew Gwen from a few years ago when she was living in Willimantic with her ex Jack. We lost touch with them when they moved down to Georgia, we messaged Gwen once or twice when she moved back to Providence and it was very cool to catch back up with her over dinner and the show. We didn't stay too long at Joe's because my foot was starting to really bother me. We did stay long enough to invite Joe, Melissa and Gwen to Tuesday night dinners. More on that later.. :)

----
Monday I had lunch with Mike B at Bella's in Putnam and helped him setup his stereo system at his girlfriend's condo. Bella's is adding a kitchen this coming week, they are closing Monday-Wednesday and revamping the restaurant. When they open back up on Thursday they will have a full dinner menu including Jessie's raw pasta sauce!

----
Melissa came over during the afternoon on Tuesday to hang out before dinner. We hung out and watched "What the Ancients Knew - Greeks", it's the 2nd "What the Ancients Knew" episode I recorded (the first was Japanese). I was not impressed with the way they put the show together, there was so much they could have talked about but didn't. The only thing that was really cool was when they talked about the giant Triremes, which were their war ships. They actually built one and had a team of modern day rowers get in and test how fast it could go and how long they could maintain that speed. Jessie made a tamarind dip for dinner, Sara made Afghan Squash which was really good especially when mixed with Jessie's tamarind dip.. Kristen made cookies and Lynz & John made a veggie dish. Melissa was hijacked by the kiddies when she arrived and didn't rejoin the adults till dinner was served. After dinner I went and laid on the couch to put my foot up and Melissa came and sat with me when the kids weren't having her spin them..

We ended up playing Trivial Pursuit after John and Lynz left. Teams were - Me and Melissa, Jessie and Hoyle, James and Therese, Kevin and Sara and Kristen. Joe was going to team with Kristen but he was not feeling good so he took off early. Hoyle and Kevin are pretty evenly matched when it comes to trivia games but Hoyle and Jessie ended up coming out on top in the end. Me and Melissa did ok considering we kept getting distracted by the kids and apples.

----
Wednesday I had lunch with Mom, Joe, Grandma and Sara. Joe made a pizza for him and Sara, the rest of us got pizza from that really good pizza place in Putnam. Grandma was not impressed saying that it was not really New York pizza. Mom and I disagreed.. :)

----
Lynz came over Thursday, she had been meaning to check out that herb place by the Vanilla Bean so we ate lunch at the Bean and checked out that place. I had a turkey, bacon, avocado wrap which was sooo good.. After lunch we went up to Dr Scheffel's office to get my stitches out. Getting the stitches out hurt a lot more this time, last time getting the stitches out was a relief because of the staple that was pulling on the bandages, this time there was no relief just pain. The re-casting process really sucks, while your knee is bent they push your foot up to the angle they want it and then have you hold it there while they cast it. Holding the foot at a stretching angle really hurt my knee and my muscles. Once the cast is on and hard the next trick is straightening your knee which stretches the tendon even further. Back to the pain meds for a few days..

Amber came over for a bit on her way home which is always cool.. The rest of Thursday night was lots of Red Dwarf. Years ago I started watching Red Dwarf with my friend from NY, we watched 3 seasons and I think we watched 1 episode in the last year so I decided to download them off Netflix online.

----
Last night me, Jessie and dad went to see One Night of Queen which is a Queen tribute band called Gary Mullen & the Works, they are sanctioned by Queen and Brian May as the definitive historical Queen show. They did two sets, the fist set was good but the 2nd set was holy crap amazing! The version of Love of My Life was probably the crown on the show for me, they did a different version of it than Freddie and Queen would normally do and it was great to hear him use Freddie's voice but a different arrangement. They also broke up We Will Rock You and We Are the Champions with Friends will be Friends which was nice and unexpected. We got handicap seats which were very close to the stage off to the side of the theater. I took lots of videos and should have them up on YouTube in a little while.

----
So, I'm watching the Mets/Red Sox game now. Before watching this I watched this weeks Mets Weekly which talked a bit about food at Citi Field, they apparently have a stand which has fries with various dips including a bacon dip!

Speaking of Baseball.. Over the last few days I've been reading a bunch of different articles on ESPN.com and MLB.com.. Here are some interesting things I read...

The new Yankee stadium has a center field restaurant that apparently blocks the view of the field from the bleachers! They just announced they are lowering the price of those bleachers to $5 because they are "limited view", if you look online you can find pics of what it looks like to sit in those seats. Speaking of Yankee stadium, the Yankees increased their ticket prices 76.3% from last year! The Mets increased their ticket prices by 8.6%.. The Red Sox had the highest average ticket price for the last 13 years, this year the Yankees eclipsed them. The average ticket price at Yankee stadium is $72.97, the average ticket price at Fenway is $50.24, 3rd place is Wrigley Field at $47.75 and Citi Field is 4th at $36.99.

How about salaries? The Yankees are once again #1 in baseball with $216,661,739.. The Mets are at $129,987,735.. I don't know where the Mets fall because not all teams have published their salaries yet for the 2009 season. I know, if all the teams have not published their figures how can I say the Yankees are #1? Because no other team is even near them.

---Thought of the Day
Be true yourself and have the confidence to know that by being yourself nothing is untouchable or unattainable..

No comments:

Post a Comment